News & Events

Our Work

Commissioners Advocate for Statewide Early Learning Investments – Newsletter (June 2018)

Commissioners Advocate for Statewide Early Learning Investments to Bring Impacts Close to Home

Commissioner Bob Krasne, CEO of Steinman Communications, along with Jim Hoehn, Regional President Central PA for PNC Bank, say economic growth in Pennsylvania is impacted by the lack of high-quality child care.

Here in Lancaster County, the picture is stark. Among the 19,900 children under age 5 who may need child care, new data show that 8,710, or 44 percent, are eligible for Child Care Works. Of those, only 1,779, or 20 percent, are enrolled. That leaves 6,391 children, or 80 percent, who are unserved… It’s time to invest in increasing the supply of high-quality child care and in the buying power of Child Care Works subsidies. Parents need access to affordable, high-quality care. Providers need investment to deliver high-quality experiences.”

Read the full article from LancasterOnline – HERE

Little Girl Reading


Commissioner Timothy Fallon, CEO, PBS39 says every child is born with innate talents. The question is how, and whether, those talents are unleashed and nurtured.

“I have learned about the power of investing in the care and education of young children and have been gratified to see Pennsylvania’s commitment to doing so grow. Still, we can and must do more to realize the individual potential of every child and secure a prosperous future for our region and commonwealth… Every day is a day to invest in our children.”

Read more outlining new data for the Lehigh Valley – HERE

Commissioner, Judge Chester Harhut, says a critical piece of the puzzle is missing in Lackawanna County and Pennsylvania.

Holding Hands

“Lackawanna County’s need for quality care is dire. Among the 7,820 children under age 5 who may need child care because all available parents are in the workforce, new data from Pennsylvania Partnerships for Children shows that 3,880, or 50 percent, are eligible for Child Care Works. Of those, only 1,018, or 26 percent, are enrolled. That leaves 2,862 children, or 74 percent, who are not served…

Going further, we find that 52 percent of Child Care Works enrollment locally is in programs that have not met high-quality standards or national accreditation. That leaves only 486 young Lackawanna County children in Child Care Works who are enrolled in programs meeting quality standards proven to promote their school readiness… It’s time to make meaningful, life-changing investments that expand availability and affordability of high-quality child care.”

Read the full Op-Ed in The Times Tribune – HERE

Leaders in the Greater Susquehanna Valley Encourage Investments in Early Learning

Commissioner, J. Donald Steele, President & CEO at The Northumberland National Bank, joined State Representative Lynda Schlegel Culver and other business and community leaders from Northumberland, Snyder and Union counties in a roundtable discussion organized by Mission: Readiness at the Milton YMCA. The focus was a new report on the military’s early childhood programs and needs for high-quality Pre-K and child care across Pennsylvania.

Read more about the event in The Daily Item – HERE

The Early Learning Investment Committee of the Susquehanna River Region, a regional group focused on investments in high-quality early learning programs, along with Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way partnered with the Early Learning Investment Commission to complete a community needs and opportunities assessment. View the full report and findings

Summit Focused on Needs and Opportunities in Blair County

A subcommittee of the Blair County Chamber of Commerce, Blair Basics, held its 2018 Early Childhood Summit recently to bring business and education communities closer together on issues that affect career and workforce development. Learn more about the work of this group HERE

With support from the Commission, Blair Basics also recently completed a community needs and opportunities assessment.

View the full report and findings

Pictured (left to right) is BASICS Chair, Rodney Green with Clearfield Area School District; ELIC Commissioner and President/CEO, Roaring Springs Blank Book Company, Daniel Hoover; ELIC Commissioner and VP of Human Resources, Sheetz, Stephanie Doliveira; and President/CEO, Blair Chamber of Commerce, Joe Hurd at the Blair Basics Summit.

Legislators Take Part in Early Childhood Action Day in Harrisburg

The Pennsylvania Early Learning Investment Commission took part in the Early Childhood Action Day at the Capitol in Harrisburg this week. Organized by the Pennsylvania Association for the Education of Young Children (PennAEYC), and other advocacy groups, the event served as a reminder to legislators that their help is needed to create bright futures for the children of Pennsylvania.

A rally was held later in the day that included Secretary of Education, Pedro Rivera, and State Representatives Mark Longietti and Lynda Schlegel Culver in a building block tower competition with kids from area child care centers.

You can see pictures and videos from the event on Facebook, Instagram (@paearlylearning), LinkedIn and Twitter (@PA_ELIC).

Watch the video from WHTM-TV’s Matt Heckel – HERE

Recent Articles: ECE Workforce Transformation Through Apprenticeship

The Atlantic: Mr. Rogers Had a Simple Set of Rules for Talking to Children

The Intelligence: Letters to the Editor – Educate or Incarcerate (2nd Letter)

WITF: Science Behind Early Childhood Education Funder Collaboration to Engage Business Leaders in Early Learning Wolf and Lawmakers Have Another Chance to Improve Early Childhood Programs. They Should Take It. (Editorial)

Newsradio 1070 WKOK: Push for More Early Childhood Education Funding for Military

Delaware County News Network: Advocacy Campaign Proves That Childhood Begins at Home

The Daily Item: My Turn: Pre-K Changes Lives, Saves Millions

Times Leader: Our View: We Must Find Funds for Early Childhood Education